This blog is about a wide range of topics, their common denominator being simply that I'm interested in them. My aim is to relieve my friends of my constant lecturing about such things as e.g. Chess, Football, Languages or Scandinavian Music ...

I appreciate readers' comments, no matter whether they are in English or German or any other language I'm finding myself able to understand.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Curse Of The Webworld

Imagine you were a painter who got hired to paint somebody's house. The client doesn't specify exactly what colour he wants but instead shows you some vague pictures of other houses and says "somehow like these".

So you spend some time mixing colours and paint little drawings with them before you start the real painting. You show the drawings to your client who mostly says "All's well, go ahead". On other occasions he doesn't give any feedback whatsoever. So eventually you decide to get going and use the colour you think he's been most fond of.

Of course, once you've finished painting the house your client doesn't like the colour and wants you to change it.

You think this is farfetched? You think this doesn't happen in real life? Oh buddy...

Exactly this happened to me this evening when I was asked to change the colours of a web site I had designed. This also meant altering the graphics considerably and the client apparently wasn't aware of the fact that their little request was not little at all. And the design looks worse now, but I guess this is just my personal opinion.

Anyway, this is not the end of it. Web design customers can be much worse, as the following illustration shows:

The Curse Of The Webworld

1 comment: